Friday, January 4, 2013

Meal Planning

MEAL PLANNING FOR THE WIN!

This week, I want to focus on Meal planning.  My family lives off of a budget of roughly $100/wk.  This is for a two adult and two child household.  Granted my kids are not very old yet (3 & 4), but man can my 3 yr. old pack it away.  I find that on the weeks when I really need to go grocery shopping I feel overwhelmed and walk into the grocery store only to want to walk right back out.  No game plan = lousy food and usually over budget to boot.

This week I knew that today was going to be grocery shopping day come hell or high water.  I needed to get groceries in order to get back on track with my weight loss goals as well as to be able to feed my older daughter healthy meals when she returns to school on Monday.

The following is what I came up with for Dinners as well as a few links to the some of the recipes that I use personally for these meals.

Tonight's dinner is brought to you by the wonderful people at Kraft Foods.  That's right, it's Kraft Dinner for the family tonight.  Normally we us KD as a lunch option, but it's easy enough that my husband can make it and since I'll be out getting groceries, this is an important factor.  Also, both kids like it (a rarity with my picky, but overly hungry 3 yr. old).  No Brainer.

The rest of the week is as follows:
SATURDAY: Waffles w/ Fruit & Bacon - This will be frozen waffles that we toast covered with cut up fruit and likely some yogurt and maple syrup.  Served with a side of bacon.  This sounded so tasty that I put it first on the list!

SUNDAY: Stracciatella & Meatballs - The Stracciatella recipe that I use is Chef Carm's and it can be found HERE.  I actually found out about this recipe on a fluke.  My 3 yr. old turned on the TV and there it was being made on Steven & Chris (love that show!).  Easy, I had all the ingredients already, and it was tasty!  I add meatballs to it to give it more UMPH and to stretch it just a bit.  This would go served well w/ garlic bread or a nice crusty loaf.

MONDAY: Pizza - I hate Mondays!  This is definitely another no brainer dinner.  Plus my local grocery store has Delissio on sale for $3.99.  Much cheaper than ordering it!

Photography by Tom Szuba Photo Inc.
TUESDAY: Borscht - I found THIS RECIPE (scroll 1/2 way down the page as there are other soup recipes in the article too) in a copy of the Sun sometime in the fall of 2011 (after looking up the article, apparently it was on 9/23/2011).  I remember it only because I was sitting in a Kettleman's bagel shop reading the paper that happened to be on the countertop and I actually ripped out the recipe, which I rarely do (especially in public papers).  Plus I remember it was 2011 since I was working at the Halloween store in Place D'Orleans Mall and this Kettleman's was right across the street from it.  Love this recipe since it's so cheap to make and full of veggies!

WEDNESDAY: Pork w/ Curry Rice (AKA: Pork Chop Casserole) - this is a recipe of my Mother-In-Law's and I really enjoy it.  I usually throw whatever extra veggies I may have in with the rice which helps with the nutritional aspect as well as filling out the meal more.  Pork Chop Casserole - Jill Davis's Recipe

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350

4 Pork Chops
1 C rice
Beef Bouillon & 2 C water
diced green peppers
diced tomatoes
diced onion
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp curry powder (increase to taste)

Grease casserole. brown chops on both sides quickly. put rice and curry powder, salt, and pepper into casserole.  lay chops on top, overlapping if necessary. add diced veggies. pour boullion mix over top.  cover and bake 1 hr. at 350.

Another simple recipe, but big on flavor.  I add LOTS of curry, but I like it much spicier than my mother-in-law.

THURSDAY: Chili - there is no recipe for this other than: Brown 1 lb. ground beef w/ 1 onion diced.  Add 1 can of Tomato Sauce, 1 Can Each of Red Kidney Beans & Black Beans (drained & rinsed), 1 Can diced tomatoes, and whatever else you like in your chili.  I will sometimes add corn kernels.  You can also be very flexible with your bean types.  I've used cannelli, black, chick peas, bean mixes, etc.  Also, for seasoning, add Chili powder, some sugar (just a bit), cumin, and a dash or two of cinnamon (yes really!).  I really season it a bit and taste it.  It's all eyeballed now.  This is another favorite cause it takes about 10-15 min. from start to finish to make.

FRIDAY: Grocery day so likely will be KD again!

Hoping to come in under budget enough that I can afford the $7.92 12 pk of KD.  Great price!  We shall see! UPDATE: Didn't come in under budget, but bought the KD anyway.  I think I just need to up my budget to $125/wk.  It'd be just enough.

Thanks for reading my blog today!  

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week! Also, to be fair, I can also toast waffles, make pancakes and grilled cheese, do all but the seasoning on the chili and a number of other meals (or at least parts of meals)... if I don't burn everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm desperately behind on groceries, too. I have a menu plan-ish, thanks to my FB thread, but I haven't gone shopping for it, yet, so I've been rummaging. (I found a pork loin in the freezer!)

    When I make my mom's pork chop casserole, I make it into more of a casserole. I add a bag or two of frozen veggies, and I chop the pork into bite-sized pieces before browning. It works out really well!

    Have you tried my easy lentil stew recipe? I think I posted it on FB, but I can send it to you if you want it. It's super cheap, full of veggies, and really filling.

    One of my new favorite "better than take-out" meals is chicken tossed salad. We get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, bagged salad, some kind of cheese (feta or queso fresco if we're feeling fancy, shredded if we're not), and no-prep veggies like baby carrots and cherry tomatoes. We just rip chunks of meat off the chicken and toss them on top of the salad, and voila, meal-worthy salad! For the price of two take-out meals, you have an easy, no prep dinner for the whole family, plus leftovers! I hardly ever make salads (except when I had CSA stuff to use up), because of the prep involved, but this brings it down to basic assembly. I don't usually plan this meal as part of meal planning, but it's a good back-pocket meal for those days when you feel like just getting take-out.

    Heh... I should probably just make my own post, rather than writing a whole post in your comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - Just raided your FB notes page. I think that I'm going to meal plan from there next week! Love the Bagel Eggles - I'm going to call them "beggles" (as people apparently beg for more ;)) and I'll definitely have to try the lentil stew (especially since it's a crock pot meal! May try the chicken tossed salad too as on Tues. our Metro has $6.99 rotisserie chicken specials! Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  3. I still have to try that Stracciatella recipe. Maybe this week or next :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a great menu, when my adults were kids, breakfast was the favorite dinner night of the week. For many, many years now I have referred to myself as a grocery shopping professional and have many tips for getting the most out of your local sources. If you ever want to chat about it, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete