Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Beginnings


It's January 1st, 2013.  I really like fresh starts.  I think it's the control freak in me.  I feel like I can forget about everything that happened last year and just look forward.  The last 4 months of 2012 had been difficult for me for several different reasons.  Summer had ended, my "baby" started school, I was thrown into some job responsibilities that I wasn't anticipating, and I was gaining weight again.

I tend to suffer from what I like to call "seasonal lows" during the winter months and there are multiple contributing factors to that.  I live about 6-7 hours away from my parents and I find that I miss them most during the last 4 months and I'm blaming it all on the holidays.  I'm reminded how far apart we are and how much I miss them constantly.  It starts around Canadian Thanksgiving in Oct. while I'm "celebrating" family and togetherness and they aren't there.

Then, because I'm American, I start my Christmas shopping since, you know, thanksgiving is over now.  Christmas shopping always brings your family to the forefront of your mind as you are reminded of them every time you see something you know they'd like.

End of October, Halloween.  I get sad wishing that my parents could be here to see how cute the kids look in their costumes and how much fun they are having for real instead of just what they can glean from the pictures I post.

Then comes November and American Thanksgiving.  This hits me most as we always had family together for a wonderful meal, and I'm sad that sometimes I don't even remember that it's Thanksgiving and it just passes me by even though it was such an integral part of my upbringing.

Christmas, however, is the worst.  I always get this insatiable urge to just pack up everything and move back to NY, but I just push through and amble on.  I just wish that my family could get to spend more time with my kids and that I had more support surrounding me.  I tend to get overwhelmed easily, and I haven't quite figured out why yet, but I'm guessing it's also associated to my control freakness!

Add to all the holidays the grey and dismal weather and the COLD and you've got the perfect recipe for emotional eating. LOL.

Well, we're passed Christmas now and I'm starting to feel a bit better and a bit more in control.  The Vitamin D that my mom suggested has been helping :D  

Today, as for many, is the first day of that new "diet" and exercise routine.  I decided to watch 1 episode of a show (right now I'm working through the Vampire Diaries seasons 1-3, again LOL) while I walk (hoping to run again soon) on the treadmill.  It worked so far this morning.

I had every intention to set an alarm and get up at 6 this morning, but decided I'd get up when my body was ready.  My husband had other ideas (unbeknownst to him) as he startled me awake at 6:26 this morning.  I took it as a gentle nudging from God to get my butt out of bed and back in gear!

I almost died only once this morning when I stepped a little to far to the right and stepped 1/2 on and 1/2 off the treadmill while it was on.  Twisted my body a bit, but seem to be okay.  Guess I should drink my coffee BEFORE trying to do anything that requires minimal concentration...or maybe I just slipped on my drool over the vampires LOL

Well...I'm going to finish sipping this coffee down and then grab a yogurt and some grapes/apples for breakfast and then who knows what next.  Maybe I'll try to get some house work done.  Anything to be less sedentary today.  Even set a timer for my internet time, which I ignored about 10 min. ago LOL.

Better get going now.  Wishing the best luck to all in keeping those resolutions this year!

3 comments:

  1. Incidentally, I've also heard that drinking a coffee before you start your exercise routine is supposed to make it more effective or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^I've heard the same.

    I got an under-the-desk bike pedal thing to work on my exercise. I work from home now so I spend a lot of time at my computer working. And talk about homesickness... lack of support... yeah... I know it! And it DOES get worse during holidays. Most of the time I push through, but I haven't seen my family in going on 4 years now, and they haven't met my darling son. I don't have many friends here, I live far away from other foreigners, and the ones around me don't have kids and don't really want to hang out with toddlers. I miss American food and American holidays, American family and Friends, American shopping malls, driving a car, having a house, and knowing where to find everything.
    And it probably explains why, the last few days, despite a lovely Christmas (which we celebrated late, on the last day of the year, as Christmas was not a holiday for us here), I am feeling really let down and sad. :( I hear you.
    Oh and that television show? I wish there was Netflicks where I lived. I'm so limited in what shows I can watch.
    Happy New Year, be thankful for skype. Maybe we can chat now and then and bolster our spirits as well as our good intentions!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the trick is in creating (and using) a planned out week schedule, then it doesn't matrter what time of the year it is we get the things accomplished that need accomplishing!

    ReplyDelete