Friday, October 26, 2012

Should be called "Fried"Day

Today started out just like every other week day.  Up at 6:30 AM to hop in the shower.  Oldest child is already up and complaining that she can't get the T.V. to turn on.  I have a rule where she can watch T.V. til 7 IF she happens to wake up early.  It's not a spoken rule, but it's just easier for me that way.  That means I have until 7 to get my lazy butt out of bed.

Thankfully I had made chili last night so packing the lunch this morning was easy.  Was feeling particularly mommy-like and decided to cut April's cheese squares into princess castle and fairy wand shapes.  Haven't remembered to ask her if she noticed.

Threw a quick $5 in her gallon ziploc "mail bag" along with her walk-a-thon donation sheet with Mommy, Daddy, and brother Jake as her only gathered donations.  Felt guilty sending her in with nothing.  Pop in a load of laundry in the dryer while the child requested bagel was toasting away in the toaster oven.  Then up to cream cheese 1/2 a bagel for April while handing the "bagel with nothing on it" to little brother Jake.

Then it's a gentle reminder to April to get dressed (this is usually accompanied by a threat to turn off the T.V. if focusing doesn't happen) and then out the door to wait in the cold for the bus.  It's times like these that I'm thankful the hubster works from home 'cause it'd be twice as hard to get them both out the door.  I'm sure this thankfulness will be 10 fold once the snow hits (and 100 fold if I can get him to take her out in the blizzards LOL).

Back home for a quick bite for me and then off to the local grocery store to pick up snack for an 8:40 play group.  Today's play group started with a severe lack of coffee (should've gotten up just 5 min. earlier).  Now don't get me wrong, I am super appreciative of the free coffee provided at play group, but it's just not the best coffee in the world.  It provides caffeine and some days that's exactly what I need.

Exhausted?  Well...you shouldn't be, play group hasn't even started yet.

After a rousing 20 minutes of keep the toddler boy entertained quietly while waiting for the 9 AM play group start time, we are corralled into the play group room and chaos ensues.  It's always good to be able to chat with other moms at the play group, I, however, have a son that doesn't necessarily agree with that.  Mr. Jake is a BUSY boy.  He has the attention span of a gnat and has been known to emit similar annoying sounds LOL.  I love my son to death, but sitting down for any length of time is a rarity with him.

Jake...be gentle near the babies.
Jake...don't dump that box of....
Jake...stop running.
Jake...no yelling.
Oh, and Jake...thank you for not pulling the fire alarm at play group today.

I thank God that it was a gorgeous day out today.  After play group we had a few minutes to enjoy the play ground before it was off to the house for nap for Jake and volunteering at the Walk-a-thon for me.

Who would've thought that helping kids get their shoes on and putting stickers on paper sneakers would be so rewarding.  It was an amazing time for me.  I was able to hand out TONS of stickers as well as walk around the tennis courts with April.  My favourite part?  Seeing April interacting with a myriad of different kids and she was just so happy to be there.

Once you have a kid in school you realize that it's hard to let go.  It's hard to not wonder every once in a while what it is they are doing at school, what friends they are making, and whether or not they are eating that lunch that you put together that morning.  It was nice to have a glimpse into how she is getting along with others and how she interacts.

Second favourite part? Having April's teacher come up and say that she is so impressed with April.  She said that April is such a great example for both kids in her own age group as well as kids older than her.  She works really hard, loves to learn, is friends with pretty much everyone, and is really good at retaining information.  This is really important to me and for more than one reason.

It reassures me that I'm not an awful parent and that I must be doing something right.  Maybe it's all the T.V. I let them watch.  Maybe it's just that I take an interest in my kids and I love them as best I can.  I often get baulked at when I say that I don't feel that my child should be taken out of school for family vacations, but to me, school needs to be a priority.  Spending time with family is great and I value family, but I also want to show my kids that their education is important too.  I don't have a problem with people that do take their kids out, but it's just not my preference.

Walk-a-thon ended about 1:40 ish and then I had a lovely walk home.  Walked in the door and started prepping for supper.  3:00 and the mandatory alarm on my phone reminding me that I have a kid to pick up started serenading me.  Off to get April.  Phone call comes in from work asking me to come in.  Stressing out because there is just no way, and feeling guilty over not being able to help.  Hate that because other people are calling in, I'm feeling stressed over something out of my control.

Back home to the kitchen to finish with making supper.  Made 2 pots of this beef bean soup and a pot of chicken noodle soup.  Felt quite accomplished.

Soup delivered to an ailing friend and then back to feed my kiddos.

One kid devouring dinner and one kid not...no surprises there.  Well deserved treats handed out to kid that ate and early bed time for one that didn't.

Then it was time for some Mommy & Daughter time.  April has been bugging me to paint her nails for about a month now and I always seem to forget about it.  Well...we trimmed everyone's nails at bath time last night so she was not about to let me forget today.  Four coats on 20 digits and one headache later, my little princess has her beautiful nails done and then it's time for bed.  Well, almost.  Kids in bed, but here I sit writing this post out when actually came to the computer to check my bus schedule for my annoyingly early start time of 8:45 tomorrow.

Don't know if I've said this yet (see, blogging like this only 3 days now and can't remember what I write...must be a mombie day), but I work at a Halloween store.  Best and worst job ever.  A little easier this year as I've learned not to sink my entire pay cheques back into costumes and a little harder because I've had to take on more than anticipated this year.  We kind of have this running joke from the time of setting up in Sept. about whether or not it's November yet.  Well...it's almost Nov. and I can honestly say I'm SO glad.  Just ready to relax a little bit more and reassign that portion of my brain to deal with someone else's stuff.

Ok...I really need to be checking that bus schedule now so I will bid you adieu.

P.S. - May or may not be a post tomorrow as I'm working until 9:15 PM and won't be getting home til around 10.

Is it November yet?! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment